Day 1 – Harewood House
Board our private executive coach at your preferred pick up points – visit Harewood House, the home of the Queen’s cousin, the Earl of Harewood, renowned for its stunning architecture, fine art collection, exquisite Adam interiors and Chippendale furniture and a 1,000 acre ‘Capability’ Brown landscaped garden – continue to the at the 3* Cairn Hotel in Harrogate.
Day 2 – York guided tour, Merchant Adventurers’ Hall & York Art Gallery
Walking tour of York with our Blue Badge guide taking in the City Walls, the Shambles and the Minster, the largest Gothic cathedral in northern Europe – visit the Merchant Adventurers’ Hall, built between 1357 and 1361 and one of the best preserved medieval guild halls in the world – an audio guided tour of York Art Gallery explores the home of the Lycett Green collection of Italian Old Masters from the 14th to the 18th century, as well as works by renowned 20th century artists such as LS Lowry, Sarah Lucas and William Etty, York’s most famous artist.
Day 3 – Castle Howard & Harrogate guided tour
Magnificent 18th century Castle Howard is set in a beautiful 1,000 acre park adorned with rose gardens, lakes and fountains, while the house is home to the Howard family and has been richly furnished throughout – guided tour of Harrogate this afternoon takes in sights such as the Royal Hall and Montpellier Gardens – afternoon at leisure with time to take tea at Betty’s Café Tea Rooms.
Day 4 – North Yorkshire Moors Railway & Whitby
Preserved in 1967 and featured in ‘Harry Potter’, a nostalgic steam train journey from Pickering to Grosmont travels through the picturesque North Yorkshire Moors – rest of the day in Whitby, a resort dominated by the cliff top ruins of a beautiful 13th century abbey and with old cobbled streets, picturesque houses and a sandy beach.
Day 5 – The Hepworth Wakefield
The Hepworth Wakefield features the Hepworth Family Gift consisting of 44 full size working models Barbara Hepworth executed from the mid- 1950s to the end of her career as well as a collection of her drawings, lithographs and screen prints – return to our original departure points with comfort stops en route.
Half board accommodation
All excursions & guided tours included
Blue Badge guide Days 2 to 4
Executive coach throughout
One free place per 10 paying passengers
Walking tour of York
Medieval Merchant Adventurers’ Hall
York Art Gallery - audio guided tour
18th century Castle Howard
Guided tour of Harrogate
North Yorkshire Moors Railway
The Hepworth Wakefield
Four nights on half board basis at the 3* Cairn Hotel, located under a ten minute walk from the centre of the spa town of Harrogate. Facilities include a restaurant and a bar and all rooms are en suite.
Single room supplement £79
Entrance fees to places of interest (NT properties free to NT members)
Tailor-make this tour
Your tailor made tour
Here are some more suggested places of interest you might like to include:
- Brontë Parsonage Museum, Haworth - the former home of the world’s most famous literary family
- Newby Hall, Ripon - built under the guidance of Sir Christopher Wren, this is one of England’s finest Adam houses
- Fountains Abbey & Studley Royal Water Garden - together the Cistercian abbey, Georgian water garden, medieval deer park, Elizabethan hall and Victorian church offer an unparalleled range of England’s heritage
- Sledmere House, Driffield - built in 1751 and set in the Yorkshire Wolds, the house exudes 18th century elegance with each room containing fine plasterwork by Joseph Rose Junior
- Burton Agnes Hall, Driffield - an Elizabethan stately home built between 1598 and 1610 by Sir Henry Griffith, fifteen generations have filled the Hall with French impressionist paintings, contemporary furniture, tapestries and other modern artwork
- Eden Camp - a former prisoner of war camp which uses audio visual technology to depict the history of World War II
- Fairfax House - Georgian townhouse brimming with decorative flourishes and artistic treasures and displaying some of the finest 18th century period furniture in England
- Constable Burton Hall & Gardens - a private guided tour of the romantic garden by the head gardener is followed by time to admire the Hall’s fine collection of furniture and old master paintings
- Markenfield Hall - completely surrounded by a moat and built mainly in 1310,this is the most complete surviving medium sized 14th century country house left in England..
Reviews for History & Houses of Yorkshire
Date of tour: September 2017
I wanted to write to you and thank you for our marvellous holiday to Yorkshire. The itinerary was excellent with good variety and the detailed planning sheets were accurate and very supportive. We were very lucky with the weather, it only rained when we were in the coach! The coach and driver Eric were exceptional, he was a delight – wonderful driving and social, friendly and very helpful, and the request from all is that we have him again next year! Our Blue Badge Guide was a font of knowledge offering extra little guided tours as well as her main role. She was aware of the needs of a few older members of the group and offered alternatives to help them out. The hotel and facilities were excellent.
Date of tour: October 2016
Very many thanks for all your help in making my last holiday for my U3A easy and care free. The Guide was excellent and we had a very good driver. Although the weather could have been better we all enjoyed the places of interest even though some did more exercise than they thought they could. We loved the hotel and the food and staff were excellent. THANK YOU, THANK YOU and I will come and see you sometime.
Date of tour: May 2013
The Yorkshire trip was a great success, according to our members (I am not allowed an opinion as organiser!) and many thanks to you for your part. The timings were very good and the hotel in Harrogate looked after us well. We have a Committee meeting here shortly when we will discuss the away trip for next year.
Date of tour: May 2012
I am writing to say how much the 28 of our members enjoyed our visit to Durham and North Yorkshire where we had a wonderful time. The itinerary proved to be first class and all visits and arrangements went very smoothly. The Blue Badge guide, Jan, was exceptionally good. The hotel was in an excellent position, comfortable rooms and the meals provided offered variety and were very good.
Call us on
020 7064 4970
to tailor this tour
for your group
Tailor make your group tour
Remember this itinerary is just our suggestion. Tailor make this tour exclusively for your group to suit your members’ budget or preferences. You could:
- stay at a 4* hotel
- for more (or fewer) days
- include different excursions – see ‘Tailor-make this tour’ tab for suggestions
- bring a specialist lecturer
- include all entrance fees & gratuities
Call us on
020 7064 4970
to tailor make the perfect tour
for your group