Day 1 – Rome
Scheduled flight from your preferred airport to Rome – transfer with our tour manager in our private executive coach to the 3* Hotel Aberdeen in central Rome.
Day 2 – Guided tour of Ancient Rome & the Borghese Gallery
Guided tour of Ancient Rome taking in such sights as the Forum, Circus Maximus and the Colosseum – a guided tour of the Borghese Gallery, one of Rome’s most important galleries and also one of its most beautiful, introduces us to this marvellous collection of paintings, sculptures and antiquities amassed by Cardinal Scipione Borghese in the early 17th Century, including Bernini’s sculpture ‘Apollo and Daphne’ and paintings by Rubens, Caravaggio, Titian and Bassano.
Day 3 – Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel, St Peter’s Basilica & Castel Sant’Angelo
Guided tour of the Vatican Museums including the Raphael Rooms and Michelangelo’s ceiling fresco at the Sistine Chapel – wander around St Peter’s Square with its 248 colonnades, before visiting St Peter’s Basilica to see Michelangelo’s magnificent ‘La Pieta’ and the splendid tombs of the Popes – walk up to Castel Sant’Angelo, the tomb of the Roman emperor Hadrian.
Day 4 – Palazzo Doria Pamphilj & Church of San Luigi dei Francesi
The magnificent art collection housed in the Palazzo Doria Pamphilj contains masterpieces of Italian art, including Caravaggio’s Penitent Mary Magdalene, Parmigianino’s – at the Church of San Luigi dei Francesi, designed by Giacomo della Porta and built by Domenico Fontana between 1518 and 1589, we explore the three resident paintings by Caravaggio: The Calling of St Matthew, The Inspiration of Saint Matthew and The Martyrdom of Saint Matthew – this afternoon you are free to relax in Paizza Navona or visit the Pantheon, the Roman ‘temple of all the gods’ and the best preserved ancient building in Rome.
Day 5 – Santa Maria del Popolo
The church of Santa Maria del Popolo (Our Lady of the People) is notable for its frescoes by Pinturicchio and Caravaggio’s ‘Crucifixion of St Peter’ and ‘Conversion of St Paul’ – transfer to Rome Airport for our scheduled flight home.
All excursions & guided tours included
Professional tour manager
Scheduled flights to Rome
Executive coach in Italy
One free place per 10 paying passengers
Guided tour of Ancient Rome
The Borghese Gallery
Vatican Museum – guided tour
St Peter’s Basilica
Palazzo Doria Pamphilj
Church of San Luigi dei Francesi
Santa Maria del Popolo
Four nights on bed and breakfast basis at the 3* Hotel Aberdeen. Located in a quiet area of Rome’s historic centre near the Trevi Fountain, all rooms are en suite.
Single room supplement £99
Entrance fees to places of interest
Tailor-make this tour
Your tailor made tour
Here are some more suggested places of interest you might like to include:
- Museo Nazionale Etrusco - housed in the Villa Giulia is the world's outstanding collection of Etruscan art, jewellery and artefacts including the terracotta funerary monument and the Sarcophagus of the Spouses dating from 530BC
- Contarelli Chapel in the Church of San Luigi dei Francesi - famous for its three paintings of Saint Matthew by Caravaggio
- Santa Maria Sopra Minerva - one of Rome's most beautiful churches holds the body of St Catherine of Siena who convinced the popes to return to Rome from Avignon in 1377
- Carafa Chapel - boasts frescoes by Filippino Lippi
- Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Antica - houses works from the 12th to 17th centuries including paintings by Caravaggio, Andrea del Sarto, the famous ‘La Fornarina’ by Raphael, a portrait of Henry VIII by Hans Holbein and a bust of Urban VIII by Bernini
- Rome's catacombs - the ancient underground cemeteries that began in the second century as Christian burial places, then during the persecutions as places of refuge and finally in the time of Pope Saint Damascus (366-384) as centres of devotion and pilgrimage for Christians from every part of the empire
Reviews for Rome’s Art, History & Heritage
Date of tour: April 2011
The trip to Tuscany and Rome went very well. The weather was kind throughout and the arrangement suggested and provided by Tailored Travel all proved most satisfactory. I am also most grateful for the care and attention to detail you provided - even to the extent of texting me with the driver's contact details. This saved me a lot of work and expensive mobile phone calls. Overall, I have been very impressed with the assistance and support we have received from Tailored Travel. Despite our numbers dwindling, you still allowed the trip to proceed and, as a result, those who went enjoyed it immensely. I shall certainly have no hesitation in recommending you to others or, indeed, in coming back to Tailored Travel in the future.
Call us on
020 7064 4970
to tailor this tour
for your group
Tailor make your group tour
Remember this itinerary is just our suggestion. Tailor make this tour exclusively for your group to suit your members’ budget or preferences. You could:
- stay at a 4* hotel
- on half board basis
- include different excursions – see ‘Tailor-make this tour’ tab for suggestions
- include UK airport coach transfers
- bring a specialist lecturer
- include all entrance fees & gratuities
Call us on
020 7064 4970
to tailor make the perfect tour
for your group