Day 1 – Durham Cathedral
Board our private executive coach at your preferred pick up points – travel to Durham for a guided tour of the Cathedral, once described as ‘one of the great architectural experiences of Europe’ and a renowned masterpiece of Romanesque architecture – check in at the 3* White Swan Hotel at Alnwick.
Day 2 – Mellerstain House & Paxton House
Guided tour of Mellerstain House, an exquisite Robert Adam stately home built between 1725 and 1778, taking in the library which is regarded as one of Robert Adams finest creations and a fine collection of paintings and period furniture – built for a German princess in 1756 by John and James Adam, Paxton House is one of the finest Palladian houses in Britain containing the preeminent Scottish collection of Chippendale furniture and acting as an outstation of the National Galleries of Scotland.
Day 3 – Alnwick Castle & Cragside House and Gardens
Our Blue Badge guide accompanies us to Alnwick Castle, the second largest inhabited castle in England, the first being Windsor Castle, and home of the Percys, Earls and Dukes of Northumberland since 1309 – described as ‘the palace of a modern magician’, the National Trust’s Cragside House and Gardens is a wonderful Victorian mansion dating from the 19th century whose interior features state of the art hydraulics powering a revolutionary lift system and internal telephones which mesmerised visitors in its time.
Day 4 – Lindisfarne Castle & Bamburgh Castle
The National Trust’s Lindisfarne Castle on Holy Island is a romantic 16th century castle with spectacular views that was transformed by Lutyens into an Edwardian holiday home – Bamburgh Castle overlooking the Farne Islands was once home to the kings of ancient Northumbria and is now home to a fine collection of armour, porcelain, furniture and art.
Day 5 – Chillingham Castle
The 12th century Chillingham Castle in Alnwick was King Edward I’s base camp for the 1298 conquering attack on William Wallace and our guided tour takes in the ‘Long Galleries’ added by the Elizabethans and the Italian garden laid out in the 19th century by Sir Jeffrey Wyatville – return to our original departure points with comfort stops en route.
Half board accommodation
All excursions & guided tours included
Blue Badge guide Days 3 to 4
Executive coach throughout
One free place per 10 paying passengers
Durham Cathedral - guided tour
Mellerstain House - guided tour
Cragside House and Gardens
Four nights on half board basis at the 3* White Swan Hotel at Alnwick. Ideally situated to visit the sights and attractions this itinerary has to offer, facilities at the hotel include a restaurant and a bar and all rooms are en suite.
Single room supplement £149
Entrance fees to places of interest (NT properties free to NT members)
Tailor-make this tour
Your tailor made tour
Here are some more suggested places of interest:
- Ford and Etal Estate - home to the Joicey family for over 100 years, the estate is centred on the villages of Ford and Etal in the valley of the River Till between the Scottish Borders and the Cheviot Hills and a guided tour takes in Lady Waterford Hall, commissioned in 1860 by Louisa Anne, Marchioness of Waterford, and the 14th century Etal Castle
- Traquair House - dating back to 1107, it is said to be the oldest inhabited house in Scotland and a guided tour reveals its colourful historical associations such as the Jacobite Risings and visits by 27 monarchs, including Mary Queen of Scots
- Brinkburn Priory - the English Heritage 12th century church of the Augustinian priory of Brinkburn is picturesquely set by a bend in the River Coquet
Call us on
020 7064 4970
to tailor this tour
for your group
Tailor make your group tour
Remember this itinerary is just our suggestion. Tailor make this tour exclusively for your group to suit your members’ budget or preferences. You could:
- stay at a 4* hotel
- on half board basis
- for more (or fewer) days
- include different excursions – see ‘Tailor-make this tour’ tab for suggestions
- bring a specialist lecturer
- include all entrance fees & gratuities
Call us on
020 7064 4970
to tailor make the perfect tour
for your group